Below is information about my practice. Once an appointment is made, I will send you a Client Information form and an Insurance form for you to complete and bring to our first meeting. A first meeting can be up to an hour and a half.
My office hours are Tuesday – Thursday 9:30 AM – 6:30 PM; Friday 9:30-4:30.
Current clients and prospective clients can reach me by email or phone. I generally respond to emails within 24 hours. I am often not immediately available by telephone, but try to return calls as quickly as possible. When you call, please leave your name, phone number where I can reach you, and the days/times when you will be available to talk. If you are calling from a cell phone and I do not call back within 24 hours, I may not have received the full message and you should call again.
If you are a current client and are unable to reach me and feel that you cannot wait for me to return your call, you should contact your family physician or the nearest emergency room and ask for the mental health professional on call. If I will be unavailable for an extended time, I will provide you with the name of a colleague to contact, if necessary.
Insurance and Fees
I am an in-network provider for the following insurance companies.
- Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield of New Hampshire
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Vermont
- Harvard Pilgrim
For carriers for which I am not an in-network provider, clients have two options: I can submit insurance claims directly to your insurance carrier, or I can provide you with an invoice or standard HCFA 1500 form, whichever will be acceptable for insurance reimbursement. Some insurance companies require you to submit bills directly to them yourself. I suggest that you contact your organization, HR department or insurance agent to find out what is required for submission and their reimbursement rates, as each plan may be different. The reimbursements that you receive from your insurance company can be used to offset the costs of our meetings.
Clients covered by carriers for which I am not in-network are expected to pay for services at each session unless other arrangements have been made with me.
My fee for services is as follows:
- Couples therapy: $150 for a 60 minute session
- Individual therapy: $140 for a 55-60 minute session
I do understand that some clients will not be able to afford the full fee. Please know that I have no intention of ending my therapeutic relationship with any of my clients as a result of this decision to be an out-of-network provider. I am willing to arrange a reduced fee and/or a payment plan if the fee is unaffordable.
In order to protect my clients, confidentiality is strictly maintained within the legal and ethical limits of the psychological profession according to the Ethical Standards of the American Psychological Association and HIPAA. A release of information would be requested prior to disclosure of any confidential information with outside persons or agencies. However, there are circumstances in which I am required by law to disclose information without your consent to outside persons and am not required to request an authorization for release of information. These may include, but not limited to, situations where I believe that a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person is being abused, a client is threatening serious bodily harm to himself/herself or another, or I am informed of any pending illegal activity by a client.
I occasionally find it helpful to consult with other professionals about my work with clients, including supervision from a senior psychologist. These consultations are intended to enable me to provide better services to you. During any consultation/supervision, I make every effort to avoid revealing the identity of my clients. The consultant/supervisor is also legally bound to keep the information confidential. I also video some of my sessions and would only do this with your permission.
When referrals are received from another healthcare provider (e.g., physician, nurse, therapist, etc.) it is professional courtesy to thank them and let them know that I am seeing you. I will ask your permission to correspond with them and to what extent I can share information.
I am required by law to keep treatment records. I maintain both hand written and electronic notes and billing records. My written session and billing records/notes are stored in a locked filing cabinet in my office and all electronic records are stored on a password protected, encrypted computer and on a HIPAA compliant cloud-based server. Upon your request, you are entitled to receive a copy of your records.
When making an appointment, please take the time to consider your ability to keep that commitment. Your appointment time is reserved exclusively for you.
- If you believe you will not be able to make your scheduled appointment, I request that you provide a minimum of 48 hours notice. This will give me an opportunity to offer the time to someone else.
- You can cancel or change your appointment up to 24 hours prior to the appointment. If you do not give 24 hours notice or do not show up for your appointment at the scheduled time, you will be charged a $ 50 fee. Please note that I am not legally able to charge an insurance company for a service I have not provided. I ask that you send this payment either immediately in the mail or bring it to your next scheduled appointment. If you need to spread it over a few weeks or sessions, let me know so we can make a payment plan.
- I understand that there are unforeseeable and/or unpreventable medical and weather circumstances that require cancellation of an appointment. These include: the sudden onset of an illness and unsafe driving conditions. You will not be charged for these cancellations. If I need to cancel due to medical or weather conditions, I will contact you as soon as possible to make other meeting arrangements.
- Please note that I consider a non-emergency change in plans or a last minute change in your work/family schedule as a cancellation and you will be charged the $50. I understand that it can feel difficult to pay for a session you have not attended and that things come up that are unexpected. However, I do require reimbursement for time reserved for you.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.